Origins

The Australian Entomological Society began on 17 August 1965 at a meeting of entomologists from all States and the Australian Capital Territory held in association with the Hobart meeting of ANZAAS. This followed three years of behind-the-scenes activity and debate among most Australian entomologists and existing entomological societies. Ian Mackerras, the first president of the AES, listed four responsibilities of the Society that, if fulfilled, would guarantee its success:

to acquire wealth;
to maintain the highest attainable standard of excellence in everything it does;
to have a clear central purpose and source of inspiration;
to exist, not for what it can get, but for what it can give.

The first annual general meeting and scientific session was held in Melbourne in January 1967 and was attended by 55 members and five visitors. Subsequent AGMs have been held at various places in all States and Territories but not in every calendar year. The smallest meeting was attended by 32 participants in Quindanning, south of Perth, in 1973, while the largest was in Canberra in 1990 when 330 people attended. In 1996 the AES and the New Zealand Entomological Society held their first joint annual conference at Lincoln University in Christchurch. Current plans are to hold similar joint conferences every three years. The Society was the national host for the 14th International Congress of Entomology (Canberra, 1972) and the 22nd International Congress of Entomology (Brisbane, 2004).

Our constitution

A copy of the Society’s constitution at 30-04-2013 is available.

Download

The Society

The Australian Entomological Society is an incorporated, non-profit company limited by guarantee.

Australian Entomological Society Limited | By-Laws

Download 

Our emblem

The Society’s logo features the red bull ant Myrmecia gulosa (Fabricius, 1775) which was one of the first Australian insects to be formally named. The first specimen was collected in “New Holland” by Joseph Banks in 1770 and this specimen is still in good condition in the Joseph Banks Collection held in the Natural History Museum, London.

Past Conferences

 
The AES Annual General Meetings were originally held in conjunction with meetings of ANZAAS. From 1975 onwards there was a scientific program in addition to the AGM although the meetings were still held immediately preceding an ANZAAS meeting. From 1981 the meetings also had their own logo and a group photo of conference delegates published in Myrmecia.

The author of these pages has located copies of all the logos and many of the group photos taken but would appreciate the loan of group photographs of delegates from the years 1967-1981, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1994 and 1995 conferences for incorporation into this pictorial record.

Please click here to see the list of past AES conferences.